At Women’s Wellness, we purchased and received a brand new GE Voluson E6 ultrasound machine for the New Year. This equipment is state-of-the-art technology with 3D/4D capability providing extraordinary vision and exceptional image quality in both Obstetrical and Gynecological exams. New buttons and dials to play with, new applications to discover…so much new technology. I will have an update in the February blog once the applications specialists have reviewed and tested my knowledge of the machine.
The E6 is a “smart” machine. Every time “it” thinks I can create a more informative, “prettier” picture or take a more accurate measurement, an audio alert is activated. Funny, it sounds just like a baby burp! So, until I’ve learned how to outsmart the machine or perform all the tasks “it” asks of me, I will remain on a learning curve. Progressing rapidly… but I will have more to report next month.
In the meantime, I thought I would share with you some of the highlights of an article, “Five Easy Things You (Really) Can Do for a Happier Year” by one of my favorite authors, James Martin, SJ. If you would like to read the entire article from the Huffington Post, I’ve provided a link at the end of the blog.
- Be A Little Kinder. Really, how hard is it to say “Thank you” and “Please”? Listen more carefully when others speak with you. Try being just a little gentler and more compassionate with those you live and work with…even with strangers.
- Relax a bit. “ Over scheduled, overworked, crazy/busy. Exhausted. Checking cell phones emails, iPads…” Sound familiar? Having a full plate is a nice feeling; having an overflowing plate is not. Extra time leads to more creativity, more thinking, more time to be you.
- Enjoy Nature More. Pay attention to the world around you. Feeling the cold, crisp air on your face on an eary morning in January can be countered by the bright sunshine by noon. Take your chair and place it by a window. You know how dark it is in my office (out of necessity for the exams). Well, the minute you leave my room, I throw open the drapes to enjoy the natural world outside my window. In the warmer months, I throw open the windows to listen to the squeals of laughter emanating from the toddlers in day care at recess one floor below my office. Sipping hot tea or coffee on a rainy day or while watching the snowfall on a wintry afternoon can be so comforting. Comfort= happy.
- Be a Little More Grateful. Life is not easy. But if you look at all the good surrounding you, your spirits will be lifted. Be grateful for all that goodness.
- You have all read the book “Eat, Pray, Love” by Elizabeth Gilbert, right? Eating and loving my be easy, but to pray take some practice and effort. Sometimes it’s just comes down to a simple “Thank you for a wonderful day and please, guide me”. A little effort can reap huge rewards!
Happy New Year!